Question:
Why do people homeschool their children?
lunytunes_baby
2006-06-23 16:08:39 UTC
I mean, I know it's good to be book smart, but don't you want your kid to be street smart too?
27 answers:
2006-06-28 11:57:38 UTC
I was homeschooled through high school, am now in college (I think I'm the youngest in the whole campus!) and I think I'm plenty street smart. I mean, I can protect myself and have my share of common sense. Being homeschooled doesn't mean sheltered from the world.

My elder brother, a kindergarten drop-out, was pulled from mainstream school when his seatmate on the bus had a gun pointed at his head. Granted, we grew up in what even the residents referred to as a ghetto, but still, the fact that me and my broher are both still alive and moral says something.

You'd be amazed at how many people have asked my mom to a) teach them how to homeschool or b) homeschool their kids. A friend of mine was being sexually harrassed, reported it to the principal at her school, and was told to "deal with it". Does that strike you as healthy?

I believe that homeschooling is more of a protective than an academic measure, seeing as every homeschooling family I've met has chosen that path for moral or protective reasons first and educational reasons second.

Socialization-- the #1 question. I'm naturally shy in person (not in writing, as you can see!), and I'm quite certain that my shyness is not a by-product of homeschooling. Neither of my brothers are one bit shy. In fact, my kid brother doesn't know a stranger. Extra curricular activities for all of us involve heavily social environments. We all know how to protect ourselves should we be attacked, we all learn things the hard way, etc. Though I'll admit to a certain degree of naivete in the past semester of college, by no means does this mean I learned everything out of a book.

Example:

Discussing Native American stereotypes in Poetry/Short Stories this April, I mentioned peyote beadwork, referring to it as "peyote". My experience with the word "peyote" has always been limited to a group of Native American dancers, all of whom made their own costumes and beadwork. Peyote, as far as I was concerned, was a style of beadwork, as opposed to applique or loom beading. I was embarrassed to learn, in that very class, that peyote is a hallucinogen. The memory still makes me feel naive and wet behind the ears, but I learned a valuable lesson: Open mouth insert foot; Remove foot, insert other foot. Oh well.

Not all of my education as come from the curricula my mom has pieced together, but I confess a lot of the things I learned comes from books. "The Blue Girl" by Charles DeLint, "The Moorchild" by Eloise McGraw, "Dreadnought!" and "Battlestations!" by Diane Carey, (Star Trek novels are my guilty pleasure) and numerous other novels, ranging from science fiction and fantasy to mysteries and romances.

So, to conclude, homeschooling doesn't, by definition, mean sheltered from the world.

I think Bruce Tinsley said it best, though be worned that the following quote can be described as rude and unkind: "Contary to popular belief, homeschooled kids are not less socialized than other kids. They just have to use smaller words and shorter sentences."

I never said I was a saint.
Jeanne- LEAVES Military Ministry
2006-06-24 01:39:01 UTC
When did we decide isolation is the best way to learn "street smarts"?

Homeschooled children spend a LOT more time in the real world than other children do. I know the homeschoolers on TV are always nuts who keep their kids locked in a basement with a dictionary and a Bible, but you don't really think the court system works like Law and Order, do you? Real homeschoolers usually have a much better grasp of reality than other students, that is part of the reason why they do so much better in college.

How many "normal" high school students know how much an I-pod nano costs? How many know what an average electric bill adds up to? A homeschooler would, they most likely help balance the checkbook at home. (They would also know the cost of an I-pod since they paid for their own with the money from that small business they started at 14) How many High School students know where and how to aquire and use cocaine? How many High School students know where and how to aquire and use a morgage? They would if they sat in on the last refinance of their parents home. How many High Schoolers have had s e x? How many have assisted in delivering and caring for a baby? They might not do as much of the first if they had experienced the second.

I guess the question is, what street do you want your child to be prepared to live on?
behindthemoment
2006-06-23 16:19:14 UTC
That's a common misconception that homeschooled kids aren't socialized enough. I happened to have been homeschooled all my life till now, I'm 14 and am taking college classes part time, so I know what I'm talking about. Schools are made for LEARNING not for socializing anyway, so why are people so worried that kids who study without distractions and who end up much smarter than thier peers that studied with 30 other kids (not because they or should I say we were born smarter, we just got a better education) will not survive in the outside world? There's ton's of other places to interact with other kids! Band, Church, Sports, hanging out at the mall... I would say we actually have more time to hang out with friends because we don't go to school! If I want to go somewhere at 1 p.m. I get up early, get my school work done and go have fun!
Sean T
2006-06-23 16:35:42 UTC
I'm a teacher in a public school, and I've strongly encouraged some of my parents to homeschool their children. I know this doesn't help my cause as a public school teacher, but it seems that we've become nothing more than baby sitters in this day and age. Federal Regulations tell us that we have to keep kids in school a certain percentage of the time and that we have to decrease the amount of discipline we dispense to our student body, which has, in turn, created a state of decreased accountability amongst students (this is particularly bad in middle schools, where children need the firmest guidance and support). The result: lower test scores (like that matters, anyway) and more discipline problems in the schools. It seems society today has decided that their kid's behavioral issues should be someone else's problem and not theirs. We have parents who demand that their children go to summer school so that they will have some place to go during the summer and not bother the parent at home.

Bottom line: if the schools in your district sound like what I described above, go ahead and homeschool, because it's much better than the crap your children will experience at public schools.

For the young lady who is homeschooled, you're right: school is not for socializing...if only the vast majority of adults in this country understood that, we'd have fewer kids being homeschooled.
M360
2006-06-24 17:49:25 UTC
Did you know that Calvert Homeschooling Program who has developed books and programs for their homeschooling students this year is celebrating their "100 Year Anniversary" of educating children in America. Yes, 100 years and going stronger than ever. Homeschooling has been in America for a long time, people just are not aware or have not had the internet to know of what existed arcoss the U.S.. How many public schools can you speak of off the top of your head that has lasted for 100 years, with continued growth. Not many.
2016-03-15 22:29:20 UTC
We homeschool for a number of reasons. The public schools in our area spend the entire year "teaching to the test" instead of inspiring children to learn about things. The public schools in our area are run like "baby boot camp" and "elementary prison" instead of schools. There are middle schoolers having oral $&# in the stairwells. Guns and drugs and bullying and diseases are somehow an 'accepted reality' in public schools today. These are NOT the public schools that I went to. I don't want my kids exposed to THAT kind of reality until they are emotionally mature enough, and have the moral fortitude to deal with, all of that. Honestly, though, the people who have it the worst are the teachers. They are overworked, underpaid and snowed under by red tape and bureaucracy, test scores and book-keeping. The district administration wastes money, and the teachers' unions prevent truly awful teachers from being fired, which means that school districts are hemorrhaging money that could otherwise be going to support teachers with better classroom budgets. I know some truly BRILLIANT teachers who are hanging on by their toenails in a system that has failed an entire generation of children. In another ten years, we will have beaten down those teachers so much that they have all fled to private schools. It is a sad state. But since I can't really do anything to FIX the situation, I keep my kids at home and give them an education that will serve them for a lifetime. : ) P ds 9 ds 7
jezebelring
2006-06-24 16:23:36 UTC
we homeschool because we believe that school teaches a lot of things, but not the things we value. (like world knowledge, history and life skills and reading and writing and math.) we aren't religious-separatists, we don't believe in isolating children, and we don't live in a crappy school district (although in my experience even the best of schools are not equipped to give children a good education). we are both well-educated (one college professor, and one ex-high school teacher) and we know through long years of experiencing the products of public school that it isn't where we want our children to be.

there are so many misconceptions about homeschooling, but i will yet again say that the one study that's been done on social skills proves that homeschooled children are better adjusted than those in traditional school. that's a fact, jack. the idea of age-segregating kids and leaving them with one adult for every 30 kids, and then proceeding to regulate their every moment of a day including when they're allowed to eat and go to the bathroom is something that has never happened in the history of the world until the last 50-80 years, and is obviously rather insane, if you think about it. the result is great for producing good little consumers who are ready for low-paying cubicle jobs, but little else.

we want our children to be creative free-thinkers, and able to make their way in the world. i read a thousand SAT essays about every month or so during the school year, and i can tell you plainly that what our schools are putting out as "product" is a very unhappy, uneducated and frighteningly conformist bunch of citizens. they aren't at all street smart, unless what you mean is that they can survive in an unsupervised lunchroom without getting themselves killed, for the most part. whoopdedoo.

my partner and i have spent years in the school system watching what schools do to our kids. it ain't pretty, and we want no part of it.

an individualized, sensible education is something that most parents can provide, if they are economically free to do so. we are, and thus we would never deny that opportunity to our kids.

street smarts is something you learn from being out in the world, seeing what's up, and offered the guidance of a sensible mentoring adult. you don't learn it from equally confused and frightened peers.
2006-06-24 00:53:49 UTC
I was homeschooled from Kindergarten to 12th grade. I graduated high school last week (go class of '06!). My parents decided to homeschool me and my siblings for many reasons. First, the public school system here isn't so good. In fact the three high schools in my town and the next one over ... one has the highest pregnancy rate and another one has drug rate. Needless to say the schools especially in my area have serious problems. Also, we are a deeply religious family and my parents wanted to instill that religion into our education. So why not just send us to a private school of our religion you may ask? I have three siblings and while my dad makes a decent living, it just is too expensive to send three kids to private school for twelve years each - and then pay for college. Were they scared when they started? Heck yes. And they aren't afraid or shy to admit that now. But they learned as they went along. My advice is to join a support group and ask other moms/dads what they do and find out what they have tried and know what works and doesn't work.

As far as socialization goes, I know that is a big deal to many people. In reality, you still get to be around other people quite a bit. For me, I joined community sports teams (AYSO, basketball, volleyball etc.) and did things often with my youth group. In addition, we participated in co-ops. This is when the moms take turns teaching either one subject or many subjects. These co-ops are a blast and you get to learn "clasroom" type things like how to raise your hand, give reports in front of others, and turn things in on time. Feel free to email me if you have further questions. Happy schooling!
allicinnamon
2006-06-23 22:33:49 UTC
SCHOOL IS NOT WHAT MAKES A KID STREET SMART!! Yeay maybe it helps but still ....people act like homeschoolers dont have a life...or any friends...live in a hole and just suck. I have been homeschooled forever and believe me....life hurts...and im streetsmart. i have gone through things that help me deal with "real life" and just because i havnt gone to a "real school" that does not determine how streetsmart i am. Some of the reasons that people homeschool is 1. some kids need that one on one attention from a teacher.

2. family situations keep kids at home

3. familys cant affored good schools..

4. People just freak and want their kid at home..........I could go for hours

otherwise..i hope i answered you question.
Blondie
2006-06-23 19:25:23 UTC
Some of the reasons parents homeschool their children is because its a better education, and frankly sometimes the average public school in American isnt the best you can give your kid.

And besides...you go to school to get an education about math, history, english, and sciences..since when does going to school involve learning street smarts? Iv been homeschooled my whole life, and I am plenty street smart. I lived in Costa Rica for a year, and men have tried to fool around with me when I was alone on the streets many times..Im 5'3 and 100 lbs, and I took care of myself with all of them.

Public school has nothing to do with being street smart, hun, believe me.
aross07
2006-06-23 16:16:08 UTC
People that homeschool their kids believe that they can teach their children better than the public school system. Often they are proven right. However...

School is every bit as important to children for the socialization aspect. Children neatly to develop emotionally as well as mentally. Homeschooled children lag behind public school children in this sense.

Given the choice, I would rather have a well adjusted kid and take my chances with the teaching!
?
2015-05-31 16:35:46 UTC
8
missdelawn
2006-06-23 22:05:55 UTC
Because they don't want their children tainted by the worldly, sadistic, non-christian views of society. Plus, homeschooled children are smarter and learning more than publicly schooled children. Take it from me, I'm straight out of homeschool.
2006-06-23 16:22:52 UTC
I think parents homeschool their child because of safety, drugs, adverse peer pressure at school. Also i think parents want their kids homeschooled for to give child better education , religious reasons , poor learning environment at school , family reasons, and to develop character/morality.
wolfmusic
2006-06-23 19:16:34 UTC
I disagree with the teacher that said school isn't for socializing. I don't think that is what the other writer meant. I think they meant socialization- learning to get along with peers. I am convinced that is, in part, why we have so many children who can't get along. Kindergarten used to be, in part, a time for learning to get along but we are so focused on academics that we have eliminated that from our curriculum.

It depends on the parent. If they involve their children in extracurricular activities that would help. I they are educated themselves (not necessarily as a teacher) that would make a difference, too.

I have a cousin who is very "slow" and is homeschooling her two girls because she doesn't agree with the school system. Her girls are developmentally delayed but the school wants to try them in the least restrictive environment (federal law) but she wants them in special ed classes. I suspect she wants the social security they would receive. Everyone in the family has discouraged her from doing this but she won't listen. I can assure you she is not teaching them anything because she has no control or discipline over them. They are out of control. They would have a better chance of learning in a structured environment.
Mr Hawk
2006-06-23 16:12:08 UTC
I'm homeschooled and believe me I'm plenty street smart, just because I'm homeschooled it doesn't mean i never leave the house or know anything about life or the world
miblackpearl
2006-06-28 05:46:07 UTC
Who says that a student who has trouble learning strictly from text books, and who has a parent that cares enough to assist them in their education, doesn't have street smarts. My daughter was home schooled since 1st grade. She is now 17 and has not one but TWO high school diplomas, a job, a car and a scooter (which she bought herself), her own apartment, a bank account and most importantly an independence that can't be taught in any public school.
2006-06-23 19:10:10 UTC
Well homeschooling is just like going to regular school except with less noise and less people.It doesnt take friends or street smarts away.
whatdoiknow
2006-06-23 16:18:39 UTC
Their is a whole community for people who are home schooled. They don't just stay home they are very active and involved in the community, probably learn more about real life than public school kids. They are probably better off not learning all the stuff on the "street".
2006-06-23 16:13:28 UTC
Because the parent thinks they can give their child(ren) a better education than a regular school system or just simply they don't want bad influences around their kids. I home schooled mine for preschool and kindergarten. They learned more.
Wise ol' owl
2006-06-24 14:41:05 UTC
No, you want your children to be wise. People who break up counterfeit rings, don't study fake money, they study the real thing. Exposing your children to the streets, is a sure way to entice them to try the streets. "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." people home school their children because they love them.
tesorotx
2006-06-23 16:14:10 UTC
In some area with the growing crime ,drugs,and violence public school can be a dangerous place. Nobody should want their child to be that street smart -- alive is better;the rest will come in time.
2006-06-23 16:12:36 UTC
I guess it could be a good thing. But as long as the child spends enough time with other children ex. Play groups, sports then sure...why not !
2006-06-23 16:11:07 UTC
they are fed up with public schools, private schools are too expensve, and home schooling, well, they are taught under the supervision of a parent or both. Less distraction.
BobTheBizGuru
2006-06-23 16:11:29 UTC
In my sisters case, she had to because the schools would not take her son. He is gifted and they were so blown away that they basically said there was nothing they could do for him.
2006-06-23 16:15:42 UTC
I would home school my kid only if the school district in my area was bad, or unsafe.
swiper_no_swiping2006
2006-06-23 16:13:41 UTC
all i can say is thank god i wasn't home schooled!! parents are idiots!